Article 62 - Limitation period for the enforcement of penalties
- The power of the Commission to enforce decisions taken pursuant to Articles 59 and 60 shall be subject to a limitation period of five years.
- Time shall begin to run on the day on which the decision becomes final.
- The limitation period for the enforcement of penalties shall be interrupted:
- by notification of a decision varying the original amount of the fine or periodic penalty payment or refusing an application for variation;
- by any action of the Commission, or of a Member State acting at the request of the Commission, designed to enforce payment of the fine or periodic penalty payment.
- Each interruption shall start time running afresh.
- The limitation period for the enforcement of penalties shall be suspended for so long as:
- time to pay is allowed;
- enforcement of payment is suspended pursuant to a decision of the Court of Justice of the European Union.